Friday, February 22, 2008

Choosing Joy

I have oodles and oodles to say on my adventures in motherhood so far and I've been composing a post in my head about it. It's still percolating, not ready to be published. But since we all know I was apprehensive about being a mother, I thought I'd share that it's going really well so far. Doesn't hurt that I have an exceptionally well-tempered baby.

The other thing that I've been kicking around in my head is that you can choose for motherhood to be fun. Because let me tell you, if you don't actively choose that, it can be a big drag. The doctor's appointments, the rearranging of your life, the endless, endless cleaning of bottles and bottoms, the laundry, the feedings, the tummy time, the music time, the practicing sitting time, the lugging crap back and forth to day care time. Oh, don't get me wrong: whenever I see Rolo smile or hear him laugh, it makes it's all worthwhile, but that alone doesn't make it all fun. It's very easy to slip into the habit of seeing all the chores, all the work, how much of the work you might be doing versus how much your partner is doing, and it's easy to miss the joy. So I've been kicking around the idea that you need to actively choose joy. Because once you start looking at motherhood as all the work, all the chores, you're already losing the battle. Many parents of older children have said, and I imagine it's true, that having children doesn't get easier or harder, just different as they get older.

So you know, maybe I do get to choose what kind of mother I'll be, or rather, what kind of motherhood I'll have.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Star said...

Well put, and applicable to life in general as well. At least I think so. It is not always easy to choose joy, and for some people not in their nature.

Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Hopefully we'll play soon!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Meg said...

I have to tell you this. The other day (before I got STRANDED in Atlanta) I was walking through the park around 8:30 am and I saw you pushing Rolo in his fabulous stroller. I was going to yell but didn't - you were too far away and we were going opposite directions. But you looked like such a strong & happy mama and he was beeming right up at you. It was a very warm and fuzzy moment :)

Off to dinner alone in Atlanta. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter