Monday, May 01, 2006

Baby News

Ha! That title is just to fuck with you. There is no baby news.

I admit that I didn't really realize that mentioning vitamins on the internet would lead people to believe that I was talking about prenatal vitamins. Obviously, I am an idiot.

Of course they're prenatal vitamins. But I'm not really trying to get pregnant. There are a couple of reasons. First, Deidre's wedding is less than a year away and although I'd rather not be pregnant at all for it, I certainly don't want to be 9 months pregnant for it. Or even 8 months. I don't want to be uncomfortable. Hell, I'd rather not look like I'm wearing a tent either. And while starting a family may be important, it's my body, it'll be one of my best friends' wedding and I just don't feel like being miserable.

Second, I'd like to have one more summer o'fun before my life becomes completely and utterly fun-less.

The real reason I'm taking vitamins is because for the first time in nearly 10 years I'm not taking "the pill". I've been wanting to stop taking it for awhile now, because there are side effects and frankly, because I've been on it for so long that I forgot what I'm like not on it. When I first started taking it, I know it did change me somewhat, but I can't remember exactly what those changes were. Being more emotional, for sure. I never cried at commericals before the pill.

The first week pill-less, I was exhausted. I have no idea why other than my hormones were probably screwy. Otherwise, so far so good. What I'm not looking forward to is a little game called "guess-when-your-period's-coming". Because on the pill I could pinpoint its arrival down to the hour. That was a nice luxury. Now I'm carrying tampons everywhere I go. There, isn't all this more than you wanted to know about me?

But because I'm not on said pill and because the doctor says you should take prenatals months before thinking about getting pregnant, I am in fact taking these huge horse-pill vitamins that smell like hamster food.

Reasons 1 and 2 as indicated above for not getting pregnant point to the overall reason to postpone pregnancy. I am selfish. I'm not looking for positive reinforcement. I'm comfortable with my selfishness. I like my life, my lifestyle and the freedom it allows me and I know having kids forever alters that. There are many women out there who seem to have an overwhelmingly positive, if not completely unrealtistic view on having a baby: they see cute cuddliness, the cooing, the baby smell, the adorable outfits. I take things to the other extreme and see mostly dirty diapers, the crying and the inability to go anywhere without hauling 27 pieces of equipment with me.

So not quite really at the baby stage yet. Just the vitamin stage. For now.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Star said...

I am selfish too, selfish in that I am not ready for you to have kids yet...I am not ready to give you over to the mom side just yet... =) That being said, of course I will oh and ah and be so happy and teary eyed when it happens for you guys!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

Bite your tongue about handing me over to the "mom-side". When (and by "when" I mean "if") it happens I plan on being the coolest mom ever. If you see me ever wearing jeans that come up over my belly button with white Keds, just kill me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter