Thursday, February 21, 2008

On Getting Older

Honestly, I've never really related to my age as a number. It still surprises me that I'm 32. Maybe that's because I never thought I'd get old. As in, I thought I'd die young. Is that morbid? Maybe, as a teenager I never thought I'd be around in my twenties, let alone my thirties. I don't know why I thought this, I just did. It didn't bother me much. Perhaps this is why I don't think about the future nearly as much as I should.

I still remember on the night before my 17th birthday, hearing the song "Jack and Diane", specifically the line "Hold onto 16 as long as you can/Changes come around real soon, make us women and men." And I just thought that was the most prophetic statement, like, ever.

Anyway, so this body of mine has always seemed young to me. I've never felt old. Sure, it's been almost a decade since I was able to party all night long--my body starts longing for sleep at about 10pm. Oh and my boobs have always (even before Rolo) been saggy. Other women, like my friend Christy, have nice, perky boobs. Me? Not so much ever. Are you blushing yet, Chris? Anyway, other than my saggy boobs and my early bedtimes, I've always felt young.

Until now. I had a delightful pregnancy, and a relatively easy labor and I thought I was home-free. But oh, no. That's when my body decided to start breaking down. First back problems, then feet problems, now knee problems. My body, once quite strong, now seems to be no match for carrying an infant and his gear everywhere. None of these problems on their own are very bad and frankly, I need to go to a doctor about some of them, but combined, they give the feeling of my body getting old. Giving out on me. Thirty two years of aging caught up with me all at once. I cannot even fathom getting pregnant again anytime soon. I don't think my back could handle it. Perhaps once I finally start exercising, maybe that will help.

And thirty-three is right around the corner...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger Christy said...

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that someone considers my boobs to be perky three months before my 30th birthday.

Can I tell you, most days, my boobs are just about the only thing on my body that I wouldn't change.

Michelle and I are joining the gym this weekend. I really need to lose 15-20 lbs. And I'm petrified that I'm going to lose the boobage.

What a problem to have!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Speaking of boobs, I'm going to see the hot "boob man" radiologist next week at Penn's Women's Imaging Center. I get to start annual exams earlier than most - hooray!!! I hope I don't have to have a mammogram (hello PAINFUL).

Oh great - shreaks outside my Atlanta hotel window - last time that happened someone was getting robbed at gunpoint. I love business travel :)!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter