Thursday, October 11, 2007

Progress

So far, Operation Turn-Off-The-TV is going pretty well. I've been out walking twice this week and plan to go again tomorrow. It's actually kind of funny, but I put all my work-out gear on and headed out the door with the carriage. Funny because someone who used to work out twice a day has been reduced to a brisk walk as exercise. I can't even say I was speed-walking, because the Bugaboo currently has the bassinett attachment and this has no restraint system. Which means if I take curbs or bumps too quickly, little Rolo gets jostled all over the place. So for now, I'm just walking at a slightly faster than normal pace. But I've been going for over an hour and check out little neighborhoods in the process. Yesterday we walked around Queen Village and Bella Vista. I love those areas and I'm kind of sad we never bought a house there. On Monday, we toured Old City and I found this place, which I had seen featured on the Food Network, and I totally need to visit at a time that's appropriate to have ice cream (apparently it's not open at 10am when we passed. Like no one ever wants ice cream at 10am). Anyway, despite this being a huge departure from my normal fitness routine, I feel more productive just being in sneakers, shorts and walking faster than just the leisurely pace I've adopted over the last couple of months.

And I've been reading. Inspired by the book reading last week, I re-read Ann Patchett's "Truth and Beauty". I figured I'd start my reading slowly, since my memory is totally shot, by reading something I'd already read. I don't do this as much anymore, but when I was younger, I would re-read books, three or four times. Actually, I read "Gone With the Wind" twenty-seven times before I stopped keeping track. For some reason, a phrase or a scene in a book would pop into my mind and I'd become obsessed with it until I'd read the book all over again to find that section. I finished "Truth and Beauty" and I finally found my copy of Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love". I'm about a third into that book and am LOVING it so far. So yeah, the reading thing is going well. I feel smarter already.

It's been a slow start for cooking, although I have a new, completely made-up recipe, going in my slow-cooker right now. And I got all the ingredients for this pear and apple crisp the other day, knowing that today was supposed to be rainy. I'd figured it would be a good day to stay in and cook. We'll see how far along I get with that recipe because all the peeling and coring is somewhat labor-intensive so I'm hoping Rolo settles in for a long nap.

Lastly, after my little fit last week, I find that I am enjoying being home after all. Not every minute of it, but as an overall experience. I enjoy it because I know it's temporary and that makes it somewhat bittersweet. After some soul searching, and temporary moments of insanity when I thought "maybe I could be a stay-at-home mom", I've come to the conclusion that in a perfect world I would work part-time. Or maybe go to school part-time. And then spend the rest of the time with little Rolo. At any rate, then there would be some structure to my days, something to occupy my mind, while spending more time with my son than working full-time allows. But that's not a realistic plan, because I'm the breadwinner right now, so...back to full time I go.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Christy said...

We adore Franklin Fountain. Try a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of coconut in a waffle cone. It's heavenly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter