Friday, March 07, 2008

This Morning

This morning my alarm clock woke me up at 5:30a.m. and no, it wasn't my regular clock radio but my other alarm clock, the one that delivers baby's screams any hour of day or night. 5:30 is earlier than I normally get up by almost an hour. I rolled over to look at the video monitor and the reason for all the fuss was that Rolo had rolled over onto his stomach and gotten "stuck". I believe it's well documented how much he dislikes that position, so I knew that he wouldn't be self-soothing himself back to sleep. I begrudgingly went to go get him and fixed him a bottle since it was so close to the normal time he starts his day anyhow. Few things make me grumpier that waking up just before my alarm is set to go off, because then there's no hope of going back to sleep, you're just up earlier than you wanted to be.

Rolo had been cranky last night, which was unusual for him. We were visiting Michelle and Christy and he was all sorts of whiney and whingy and not at all his usual charming self. I suspected that his gums might be bothering him and sure enough when I got home, I noticed another tooth had come in, right next to the first one. He had woken up about two hours after I put him to bed last night and was inconsolable. I gave him some Tylenol, massaged his gums a bit and finally got him back to sleep.

So this morning, I was the grumpy one, but Rolo woke up with a whole new attitude on life. He was charmingly quiet and still, happily sitting in my lap after his bottle. Normally, his feet and hands are in constant motion, but this morning he was looking up at me cooing, and gently touching my face. I brought him upstairs to my room, tucked him into his chair, and I tucked myself under the covers for a few minutes. We both took a little cat nap and woke up to my alarm clock (my real one this time). I opened my eyes and looked at Rolo to find him looking at me, smiling. And with that, I found my mood greatly improved.

It's a good day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter