Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

My big plans involve hors d'oeuvres and Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve. In my pajamas.

I was home from work for the last week and it was delicious. Ron, Rolo and I did a lot of lounging around, sleeping slightly later than normal (sleeping late is virtually impossible with an infant around) and visiting people. Last week we visited our jeweler and I'm getting a new wedding band. Merry Christmas to me! I'm referring to it as the little-known "year and three-quarters anniversary band". Apparently I have a nickel allergy, something commonly found in white gold, which began causing a nasty rash on my finger. We tried to come up with some solutions with our jeweler, but some weren't very feasible (like creating a platinum sleeve around my old band) and I have sentimental attachment to my wedding band, so trading it in wasn't an option. In the end, we decided to take the diamonds out of my old wedding band and plop them into a new platinum band. Since the diamonds, though small, were a majority of my old band and were blessed by the priest who married us, I'm okay with this compromise. I think we go back next week to see and approve the mold of the new band. Happy, shiny things.

I also got to meet my friend Meg for drinks twice last week, which did wonders in allowing me to feel like a normal adult for a bit. Ron being home with Rolo was a beautiful thing.

I can't say I have very specific resolutions for 2008. But what I can say is that 2008 is the year I'm taking my body back. One month from tomorrow, I'll start weaning little Rolo, which is really just me weaning myself off the damn pump. A very small, super competitive part of myself wishes I could continue to breastfeed until Rolo was a year old. But since I'm pumping, it's just not feasible and the rational part of me knows that and cannot wait for the glorious day when I do not have to pack a pump everywhere I go. The game plan is to give Rolo a combination of breastmilk and formula for a couple of weeks until he's solely on formula. Once I'm done with that, I'll have about 2 extra hours in my days and with any luck, I can squeeze some sort of exercise back into my schedule. Also, caffiene, which I have had in only small quantities for more than a year. Most importantly, I can get sloppy drunk again. Ooops. Maybe not so much that last one, lest Rolo wind up with a diaper strapped to his head.

But yes, I know it seem trite to say I'm going to exercise more for the new year. Doesn't everyone say that? But I used to exercise and it will be time to get back in the game. I sort of handed all my time, energy and body over to my kid, and I do so happily, but now I'll be taking back charge of my body. I wish I had loftier plans, but no, that's about it.

What do you want to do this year?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter