Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Currently On My Shit List:

BPA

Back in August a report came out that this chemical, Bisphenol A (BPA), was in most baby bottles. While you would think, just having a baby that very month, that I would be very interested in this information, the truth was that I was so overwhelmed that I just kind of shrugged my shoulders and thought "What are you going to do?"

Today, another report that BPA is also in cans of formula. Now, when I switch Rolo to formula, it will be to the powdered kind, which is less likely to have BPA in the packaging. But all this got me thinking about what the combined effect of the chemical in the bottles and in the formula is. The FDA, which frankly has lost some creditability with me over the years, thinks that the level of toxins in both the bottles and the formula is not harmful. But the fact remains that there are toxins in the bottles and formula.

Then came the lead in all the toys. And although it totally irked me that no one seems to be monitoring the safety of toys, I again sort of shrugged my shoulders and thought "Well I'll do some research, but really, what can you do? Every freaking toy is made in China."

I know I could drive myself crazy worrying about every toxin out there. But I've really starting thinking about what the cumulative effect is of these toxins over the span of a lifetime. I mean when you actually read the ingredients in soda and think about how much soda you drink, that alone could cause you to run screaming into the night. As I've lamented before, it's no wonder that cancer is such a large problem in this country. We live on chemicals. The reality is that for all these recalls and reports about toxins, I could shrug my shoulders and think, "Well there's nothing I can do about it." Except that there is. I can make small changes.

Am I starting to sound like a hippie-dippy yet?

Honestly, though, I'm starting to feel like one. I've been on a campaign to limit my soda intake in the last couple of months. And I'm going to look into BPA free bottles. I think Ron and I need to make a lifestyle change so that Rolo learns to live a more toxin-free life. I'm not sure how exactly to do that or if we'll be successful, but at this moment, I'm determined.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter