Tuesday, April 18, 2006

United

I have this to say about United 93: It's too soon.


I'm not saying a movie should never be made about September 11th. In fact, I very much believe a movie should be made about it. I just think it should happen about 15 years from now.

I think it's imperative to this country that we never forget. I think it should be plastered all over American history books in schools across this country. I think we should continue to talk about it. We should never forget the people who perished that day, the sadness that came, the rude awakening that we were not completely safe, or completely invincible. I say we should remember and it has nothing to do with the current war in Iraq. We should remember simply because it was a defining moment in our country and in the moment, we felt united. But just for that moment.

I say it's too soon because it still feels like news and not a story. It's still too fresh to be nostalgic about, and it's still too soon for it to be romanticized and glamourized. Too soon for people to be making money off of it.

I'm not sure how well it will be received in the theatres. I'm not going to go. I have no desire to cry for 2 solid hours. Maybe 15 years from now, but not right now. Not when the actual footage that day, the important stuff, still brings me to tears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter