Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Travestry

Is that even spelled right? It doesn't look right.

Anyway, those of you who know me in real life know that I let the stress of wedding planning get to me for a couple of days there. I'm back now and I'm sane. Breathing normally, really. The thing about me is I can never stay stressed about one thing for very long. I get bored of worrying about it and move on. By mid-yesterday, I was over the fact that we had to re-plan a honeymoon and re-schedule a rehearsal dinner. It's done.

But here is the real tragedy is that Strawbridge's in Center City is closing June 1st. They'll be selling the building to whoever wants to buy it. My guess is that it might get converted to condos. Maybe not, though, because it's connected to the Gallery. So it'll probably become a super-sized Marshall's or something.

Then Lord & Taylor, the mecca of all my shoe-shopping experiences, is closing June 1st as well and will re-open in August as a Macy's. I have nothing against Macy's. I rather like Macy's. But it means there will only be one major department store in the city. And between June and August, there will be NO department stores in the city. Where on earth am I going to buy my summer shoes? How am I supposed to live like this?

Why would you close both stores at the same time? Idiots. And what I thought they would do is keep the Lord & Taylor's and then switch the Strawbridge's to a Macy's. That would have rocked. I'm so displeased. I hope they get rid of that Christmas light show though. I've never understood that light show.

Speaking of the need to shop, I have no idea what I'm packing for this honeymoon!

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Christy said...

A pox on you and your loved ones for calling for the death of the light show. The light show must live on forever.

What's the new plan with the rehearsal dinner?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

The light show is stupid. It's like the Nutcracker on acid. What's with the snowmen? And don't the call the little girl "Marie" or something. And they go to some clockmaker and then the American flag comes out. I can't make sense of it.

I realize that native Philadelphians love this thing and can't seem to look at it objectively. It's okay. Maybe Macy's will do the Wanamaker's/Lord &Taylor/Macy's light show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter