Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Backed Into a Corner

I never really thought this day would come: I feel sorry for Hillary Clinton. I think media and Democrats in general are backing her into a corner, trying to force her to back out before she's ready.

While it seems impossible for her to win the nomination, where's the harm in continuing to let her try? I don't know if I would vote for her if she were the nominee. Maybe. Maybe not. But I'm still somewhat suspect of Obama. I'm not entirely certain why. Too young? Lack of experience? Came out of left field? Too much idealistic rhetoric, not enough substance? I'm not sure. But a year ago, everyone would have thought Hillary would have all but cinched the normination without much of a problem. I get the feeling, though, that there was a problem. The problem was that a lot of people within her own party didn't want her to get there.

People seem to really want her to be the VP though. Kind of like a Dick Cheney of this new era.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Star said...

What does, "kind of like a Dick Cheney of this new era." mean?

I agree that this is too much of media and others telling us that she should be backing out because it is a good story. I am frustrated but not. This is the first time in my lifetime that I am not picking one over the other because they are less bad (only referring to the Dems here.)

It is shaping up to be even more interesting than I imagined.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

I'm not suggesting that Obama has no experience, but it's kind of like people want someone with more experience (in this case Hillary) in the passenger seat in case it's really needed. Not enough to make her president though.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Christy said...

The harm in Hillary not conceding for all of these weeks is that it has resulted in the Obama campaign having to run a campaign against Hillary instead of running against McCain.

McCain clinched the nomination months ago and has been able to run a campaign against Obama. Traditionally, the party who declares a nominee first has the winning candidate in the general election. The party has been united longer, they have been working towards a common goal.

The longer Clinton stays in the race, the less united the party is and the more likely that the Republicans will win.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

Well, Christy, I know THAT. Strategists seem to have had their panties in a bunch for awhile now that the "party isn't unified". But, and maybe this is just because I watch CNN pretty much exclusively, you would barely even know that John McCain is running for president anyway. With the Hillary/Obama thing pretty much dominating the news, I don't know that anyone's been paying much attention to McCain anyway.

Just my two cents.

And to get back to Star's point: this is way more interesting than any election I can remember. Usually, I'm completely underwhelmed by the candidates running. This has been very interesting indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter