Sunday, June 01, 2008

Month 10

Woah. We're in double digits now.

The last month seems incredibly short and maybe that's because we were away in San Fran for part of it. Six days away from Rolo. I missed him like crazy, but I also had a lot of fun. I had wondered if, in the absence of the kid, Ron and I would fall back into our pre-baby ways of happy hours and constant motion. The answer was yes. We were on the go all day long without the restriction of needing to stop for naps, feedings, diaper changes, etc. The only difference is that with every new thing we saw when exploring San Francisco, we would wonder out loud if we thought Rolo would like it too.

I think back when he was about 5 months old, I felt like Rolo spent that month on the cusp of new things. I feel the same way about the 10th month. He hadn't learned any new tricks really since...he learned to sit up. And so, he has an appointment with a physical therapist for evaluation later this month. I'm anticipating that she's just going to tell me he's lazy, but I am proponent of early intervention, so if something's wrong, I'd rather get on it right away. In typical Rolo fashion, he's waited until I start to worry to do something about it. Literally, within a day or two of me making the PT appointment, he's started making (for him) considerable strides towards deliberate motion. He's getting up on all fours, rocking. He moves his knees forward but can't quite get his arms to do the same. He's also just learned how to get into a seated position by himself from a prone position. Thank the Lord, because that kid would get pretty pissed when he decided he wanted to be sitting and no one was readily available to help him. Lastly, he'll do two new tricks: he'll play peek-a-boo with his bib (but not his hands) and he'll give you five upon request.

The peek-a-boo is pretty funny because he doesn't always cover his whole face. Sometimes he only covers one eye, but since he closes both his eyes when playing, he operates under the assumption that since he can't see you, you must not be able to see him. Ah, if only that worked with adults.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I, too, am a big proponent of early intervention. You're right though, he's probably just hanging out, waiting to do it in his own time.

I had a dream last night that you called and left me a voicemail asking if I had Rolo or knew where he was. I could not, for the life of me, figure out how you had lost him. Turns out, they had moved him to the bigger kids room at daycare and it didn't occur to you to look there.

We need to get together!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter