Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Compromise

Before Rolo was born, I had decided on this bedding if we had a boy. The one sticking point for Ron and I was whether to use a bumper. I was all for one, Ron was against it. True, there is some concern regarding suffocation when using a bumper, but I felt that if we used a flat bumper, as opposed to one of the super-poofy, pillowy ones, we'd be okay. Lest Ron seem alarmist, the pediatrican who saw Rolo in the hospital was all like "NO CRIB BUMPER!" without us even asking.

Even though it seemed like an over-abundance of caution to me, I wasn't willing to override Ron's thinking that we shouldn't use a crib bumper. God forbid something should happen, and then I'd feel like it was my fault. But Rolo had also started sticking his arms and legs out between the slots of his crib and would wind up screaming. What's a person to do?

The solution we decided on was the breathable bumper by Breathable Baby. It doesn't exactly match his bedding, but it's a good compromise. It's a thick mesh, so if Rolo winds up pulling it over his face or something, he can breathe right through it. It's secured with strong velcro to the crib, so I'm not sure if he'll be able to rip it off when he gets older, but for now, it's working for us.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter