Monday, April 16, 2007

Moving On Up, Not Really

So, it's official. We're moving. I'm not sure what to call the neighborhood we're moving to--Washington Square West, I suppose.

Anyway, we've signed the lease and will move in early July. Hopefully, I'll be leaving any of my furry friends behind me because really? That's a problem I won't miss. Now all I need to do is register for day care and we're all set. I'm slightly (read: totally) panicked that we're adding roughly $2,200 to our monthly expenses, but you know, maybe being really poor will be a good lesson for me.

In other arenas of living beyond our means, picking out baby stuff is harder than expected. First of all, aside from some basics, you're not exactly sure what you'll need. Or what style of thing will really work for your baby. Because let's face it, I have no idea what I'm doing. I picked out a black crib that I love. I was all settled on it. Then I realized, wait, this crib is painted black. Who cares, right? Well, the baby sure as hell doesn't care that it's painted, but when that infant becomes a toddler and starts chewing on the railings, it may be an issue. Well, at least the paint isn't lead based.

Speaking of cribs, I found this one at Karl's that I'm totally in love with. If I knew I was having a boy, I might be tempted. I had never been in Karl's before a few weeks ago and they have some great bedding and furniture. I mean super cute. But unless I hit the lottery, which is virtually impossible since I've never bought a lottery ticket, I'll be sticking with Babies R Us.

I've also been kicking around the idea of getting a Bugaboo stroller. They're everywhere in the city. Supposedly, they're very versatile, and are perfect for city-dwellers because they have awesome shock absorbers. I do have to acknowledge that most strollers seem to be made for people who will be using their strollers for trips around the mall, not necessarily cobblestone streets. On the down side, I hear conflicting reports of how difficult they are to fold, and they don't have some basics like a cuphold for me, or a tray for the kid. Oh, and also? They cost $900. People argue that it's the only stroller you'll ever need so it's worth the dough. Yeah, I'm not so sure.

Another thing I'm contemplating: whether or not we need a bassinet/cradle. The crib will obviously go in the baby's room. We'll get a pack-n-play, so that we can travel with kid when necessary. Now the baby's room is going to be on the first floor of our apartment with the living room. Our bedroom is going to be on the second floor. So I'm not sure whether to set up the pack-n-play in our room for the first few weeks, or whether to get a bassinet/cradle for our room. I'm not sure whether I'll want the pack-n-play set up in the living room semi-permanently so I can go about my business and put the baby in there for naps. I suppose it's kind of a waste to set it up in the living room when the baby's room is only about 15 feet from the living room. I also need to consider that I live in an apartment and maybe we don't have room for the baby to have 3 different venues for sleeping.

Seriously, I never thought I'd give any of this this much thought. I'm becoming more boring already.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I say:

* borrow the cradle/basinette. One of your friends surely has one and most kids are only in it for a few months. Hope or Kim may be able to lend you one. You're going to want the pack and play in the living room. Register for one with the basinette insert to save yourself the bending in the first few weeks. You can also use this as a changing station.

*re the bugaboo. The questions is who will buy it? Your mother-in-law and sisters-in-law maybe. Otherwise, it's kind of a moot point because most people aren't going to spend $900 on your baby gift.

One thing that may combine these two issues is that some of the bugaboos have a basinette. You wouldn't want to carry the stroller part upstairs but you could probably carry the basinette part up and down and not have to buy/borrow one. You could put it on the floor or or any number of flat surfaces.

I sure have alot of opinions for someone with no kids, huh?

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

Never fear, we'd buy the Bugaboo ourselves if we decide to get one. I'd never expect or want anyone else to drop that kind of $$.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter