Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Land of the Free

So I like the new Dixie Chick song. So do some of my friends. I like the song as sort of a stand alone thing though. If I think about its actual meaning, it seems kind of whiny to me. But, hey, you're free to write and sing whatever you want there, Natalie.

And that's what got me from the beginning with this whole Dixie Chicks thing. Admittedly, I only half-paid attention to it at the time. Of course, Natalie had a right to say she was ashamed of the president or ashamed that he was from Texas or whatever. This is freakin' America after all. But Natalie, honey, other Americans had the equal right to say whatever they want about your statements, to react to them. Did you not get the memo that maybe not everyone would agree with you? And that's okay Natalie, not everyone has to agree with you. It doesn't make your opinion any less valid. So why are you so enraged by the backlash to your statements? Don't be a baby, just because some people didn't like what you had to say. That's life, honey.

I mean it did get a little ridiculous, DJs boycotting her music and all. But still, other people were for whatever reason ticked off by Natalie's statements and voiced their displeasure with not only their voices but also their pocketbooks. You know what? I don't think it hurt the Dixie Chicks too much anyway.

I'm sure she's explained this in some interview, but who is Natalie referring to when she sings "Forgive...sounds good. Forgive...I'm not sure I could (would)"? Is it the president? Or the public? DJs? Whoever or whatever it is, it makes her sound a little self important.

The video's amazing. And I do get sucked in by the song. If it's supposed to be something that falls in the anti-war genre that's just fine. But if it's just a rant about this whole freedom of speech thing, time to move on. Which according to the song, she just can't do.

2 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I think she's talking about the people who sent death threats.

And the people who shot at a radio station's van when the van had a picture of the Chicks on the side.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

That's awesome. I love that crazy people feel very strongly about their opinions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter