Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Addiction

We spent at lovely weekend at the trailer. Down by the river.

The weather was lovely, maybe even a little too warm. It was quiet. Despite there being four TVs in the place (the only room not having one is the bathroom), we rarely turned them on. Which inspired me to declare that we should watch less TV when we're home. Which caused all the color to drain from Ron's face.

True be told we don't watch a lot of TV by today's standard. Ron usually watches it from about 9-11pm each night and sometimes watch with him during those hours. I also watch CNN for an hour in the morning. While there are some shows that Ron loves ( 24, CSI (any city), Without a Trace) , some that I like (House Hunters) and some that we both enjoy (the Office and Scrubs), there are definitely nights when we're flipping through channels just trying to find something, anything to watch. There are nights when I don't have anything to do and I absent-mindedly flips through those clip shows on VH1. Even shows like 24 --we routinely comment on how bad that show is and yet we watch it.

That being said, there are lots of times we miss these shows. I've never recorded a show (I have a sister-in-law who tapes soap operas each day and I find this strange). I don't get upset when I miss something on TV. So I do have some hope that I'm not totally addicted.

So first thing's first: I'm canceling our premium cable channels, HBO and Starz. Since we have digital cable there are like 9 of each of those channels. And you know what else? There's never anything on them.

Next I'm going to try to stay minimize my TV viewing to 2 hours a day. Since I watch an hour of CNN in the morning, that limits my evenings to 1 hour. Since it's the summer (for all intents and purposes) and TV is crap now anyway, this shouldn't be too hard.

More reading. More being outside. Less being a slug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter