Monday, December 12, 2005

The Dead Christmas Tree

I didn't have much luck with anything I tried this weekend. Yesterday was supposed to be a baking day. But I got a much later start than I wanted and was then distracted. I wound up with 4 dozen sugar cookies (that's after I burned two batches). There are at least 3 other kinds of cookies I want to make and Lord knows where I'm going to find the time.

Friday night, Ron and I went to pick out a Christmas tree. It was cold, and the snow from the morning was still on the ground. How romantic right? Picking out your tree with your sweetheart, with snow surrounding you. How Christmasy. We critiqued every single tree on the lot and of course, settled on the first one we had seen when we walked in. We tested it out, shook it around, played with the branches to make sure needles didn't fall off. After getting it home and in the stand, we left it to "settle". Once the branches started lowering a little, we could tell that it was the perfect-shaped tree. I must have told Ron 30 times that it was the perfect tree.

The next morning, I accidently brushed against it and about half the needles fell off. Our Christmas tree is dead. Not dead as in, it's been cut down and so technically is not living. Dead as in, cut down 42 weeks ago and dried out. The night before ice on the branches prevented the needles from falling off. When it defrosted....WOW. I have no idea how we're going to string lights on this thing. Or ornaments. Every time I touch the tree, more and more needles fall off in clumps.

So Merry freaking Christmas. Come on over and see my dead tree. I'll offer you some overdone sugar cookies too.

4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Star said...

Know what you need?
To sit and watch a good Christmas movie. When we do dinner this week, lets watch The Christmas Toy or Miracle on 34th Street!
That'll cheer you up and maybe change your luck =)

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Christy said...

I can't wait to come over, you Holiday Elf, you.

Thursday or Friday?

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

Dude, is The Christmas Toy the one that makes me cry? If so, you're just mean.

Let's do Friday :)

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Star said...

Watch the WHOLE thing, and maybe you'll see that it all works out in the end!!! I am bringing it over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter