Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas

I've realized that I really, really, really want to go back and work at a religiously affiliated school. I want the luxury of being able to say "Merry Christmas" without insulting anyone. I've gotten so wrapped up in the P.C. bullshit that I find myself wishing people who I know celebrate Christmas a "happy holiday" instead. I took for granted growing up and wishing everyone I knew a Merry Christmas because everyone I knew celebrated Christmas. Of course, I embrace diversity, and I would want any future children I may have to embrace other religions as well. But I also want to be able to say Merry freakin' Christmas every once in awhile too. My parents have this whole conspiracy theory about how the far left is trying to eliminate religion from the holidays. I used to laugh at that. Sometimes, now, I wonder. I'm mean, not seriously, but still. I'm finding that I'm starting to lose the religious connection to Christmas, and no, not because it's become a commercial holiday. Because you're almost not allowed to say 'Christmas'.

I usually buy three sets of Christmas cards: religious ones--which is my preference to send; Christmas-y cards--ones that refer Christmas but are not religious; and "happy holiday" cards that reference no particular holiday. Family and some close friends get the religious ones, friends that I think would be freaked out by a religious card get the Christmas-y one; and people I know are not Christian or people who I feel I have to be P.C. with get the holiday one. This year I just got the religious and holiday ones, foregoing the middle man: Christmas-y. This was a mistake. A lot more people got the happy holiday one than I would have liked because I ran out of religious ones.

Anyway, I know it's a week away, but I'd just like to say, Merry Christmas, everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter