Monday, January 30, 2006

Weekend Recap

I rarely do a weekend recap, but here it goes...
Friday: after work, Ron and I went to pick up our wedding bands and my engagement ring which was being resized for the 58th time. Both my rings were perfect, but Ron's ring was still too small. So we'll be going back again within the next couple of weeks, which is fine with me, because I love window shopping in that store. On the way home, we stopped at Ron's parents' house for dessert. Mellow evening--perfect.

Saturday: power yoga with my new love, Norah. I have no idea whether she spells her name with the "h" or not, but since I prefer it that way, on this website, she does. She had us pretending to be the 4 different elements: fire, earth, water, air. I did my very best not to giggle. At one point we were envisioning a fire burning in our chests. I have no idea how one would envision that without freaking out. I mean the thought of something inside your body bursting into flame isn't exactly comforting, even if you follow it by envisioning water filling your lungs to put out the fire. Regardless, I was so energized afterwards that I lifted and did about 25 minutes of cardio. Nearly forgot that I needed to get home and shower to meet my friend Meg early that afternoon.

Meg and I went to see Brokeback Mountain. I've heard a lot of conflicting things about it. Meg was lukewarm about it. I liked it. Does it deserve Oscar gold? Since I rarely see any movies in the theatre, it's hard for me to say. Like another of my friends pointed out, it's probably being so well received more because of the fact that two popular, straight actors are playing characters in a same sex relationship than because of the content of the script. I will say that within my limited realm of moving-viewing, I have never seen anything quite like this. On a unrelated note, lots of people in the theatre were talking back to the screen, which I found funny. Like when Michelle Williams character, Alma, left the house to go to "work" and her husband is yelling for her to serve dinner, women in the audience were yelling "That's right, you keep walking, girl."

I actually didn't think Michelle Williams performance was quite as fabulous as everyone said. She had like 5 minutes of dialogue really. I had read somewhere that her character knew as soon as Jack showed up that her life would never be the same. So I had imagined that she somehow intuitively knew that something was up with Jack and her husband--like she would put all the pieces of this puzzle together. Instead what actually happens is that within seconds of Jack showing up, she sees he and Ennis making out. Not much left for her to figure out really.

Certain aspects of the plot didn't quite add up for me (why did his daughter show up at the end to invite him to her wedding?). But I did find myself thinking about the two main characters quite a bit for the rest of the weekend. I could feel their pain. It was haunting--can I say that without sounding cliche? Perhaps I was intrigued because these two men weren't exactly forthcoming with their feelings--it's not like they spilled it all out there. At least for me, it was hard to tell the lust from fascination from obsession from love. I guess it was all those things. I think there was love, although they never said it. Since I don't know what it's like to be in a same sex relationship and I certainly don't know what it's like to be in one during the 1960s, I'll just leave it at that.

Afterwards, Meg and I went to the Continential for margharitas and fries. Okay, well, I got the fries, she got a salad. But whatever.

Sunday:
My one soon-to-be niece has officially entered the terrible two's. She refuses to try on anything resembling a flower girl dress. She's stubborn, that one. And I resorting finally, to "being mad at her" for not trying on the dress. So now she and I are not on speaking terms. She's not pleased with this development and begged me to hold her and play with her, but I held my ground. She held hers. She knew I was "sad" that she wouldn't try on the dress, and desperately wanted me to not be mad at her, but wouldn't cave in. She can't even be bribed. Her older sister got a treat for trying her dress on, but the little one was unaffected by the fact that she didn't get a treat. She's a tough nut. I'm well on my way to be a mean aunt. Ridiculous that I'm in a stand-off with a two year old.

And that was my weekend.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Star said...

About Brokeback: there were moments that were haunting. The movie was beautiful and well made, but like you I don't necessarily think it deserves all of the acclaim it is getting. The press and interviewers make it sound like straight men playing it gay is like playing a leper--ridiculous. There are universals about love that anyone can relate to and connect with, straight, gay, whatever...and come on, they are actors, it is their job to pretend to be something they may not actually be. After seeing them interviews and reading stuff about it, I like them less.

You better watch with all that yoga--you may go hippie and start wearing hemp! haha.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

I quickly read an interview with Jake G. which asked whether he thought he was brave for taking this role. He said something to the effect of: "playing a role isn't brave, people living their lives, dealing with real obstacles and problems, that's brave."

I kind of like that approach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter