Monday, January 24, 2005

Oh the Glorious Snow

There is one rule from college which I refuse to relinquish: a lot of snow means a day at the bar.

Ron and I (because we're totally crazy) decided to drive out to West Chester Saturday afternoon. He finished work later than expected and consequently, we headed out of the city at 3pm instead of 1pm, as planned.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE.

Actually, it was kind of fun, only because I was with a skilled driver who loves putting his Jeep in 4 wheel drive. If I had to drive myself, I would not be here blogging today--trust me. Anyway, the Jeep was made for this kind of thing. The snow was blinding; you couldn't see further than the car in front of you at times. And the road? We had no idea where the road was, in proportion to say, the concrete highway dividers. On parts of the roads that were busy, you just followed the driver ahead of you, assuming that they were still on the road. Unless of course, it was obvious that they just steered into an embankment and were no longer in control of said vehicle. Then we just drove around them. There were abandoned Honda Civics al along the Schulkyll.

The main problem was that ice would form over the windshield wipers, rendering them useless. So every few miles we (and everyone else on the road) would pull over and have to chip the ice away. Some people didn't even bother pulling over, some just stopped their cars in the middle of the road.

It took 5 hours to get to and from West Chester.

By the time we got home, it was dinner time and we were in desperate need of a drink. While walking around the city, I took stock of how clean and quiet everything was. I wished it could stay that way. We went to one of our favorite bars, Chaucer's, for dinner and beer. Because when it snows, you have to go to a bar. That's just the way it is.

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I'm so stupid! I haven't read your blog in a while and I couldn't figure out who was leaving comments on my blog by the name of boom! Duh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter