Monday, January 17, 2005

Halston

I like rountine. If I find a product I like, chances are I'm going to buy it again. Retailers love people like me, as my friend Hope points out, because we're brand loyal. Unfortunately for Hope, I'm loyal to a brand of shampoo other than the one she markets for--but she recognizes my loyalty as a good thing regardless and will go to great lengths to get me to switch to her product. We'll see.

I get this particular trait about rountines and loyalty from my mother. My mother is one of the most fiercely loyal people you'll ever meet. Her loyalty extends from family to grocery stores to the kind of rouge (yes I said rouge) she uses. She expects loyalty in return. But if you cross her, she will cut you and never look back, much like she did when Maybelline stopped carrying her style of mascara.

For the last 30 years, probably longer, my mother has worn Halston perfume. Every day. Never another kind. Only Halston.

Some of the fondest memories I have is from the holidays is when my mother would dress up for parties when I was a kid. I distinctly remember her wearing a cowl neck turleneck sweater, a plaid wool A-line skirt that reached mid-calf and knee high brown leather boots. She wore the heart locket around her neck and her long blond hair settled in waves around her shoulders. And always, she smelled like Halston.

I'm not loyal to just one perfume. There are several that I rotate through, depending on my mood. But in my collection is Halston. And last weekend, as I got dressed for a christening, wearing a sweater, wool A-line skirt and boots, I spritzed on Halston. Just because.

There's something about that scent that will always be warm and safe and grown-up and glamorous to me. During those holidays years ago, I would look at my mother all dressed up and I used to think she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Come to think of it, actually, I still do.

1 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Christy said...

My mom's perfume is Ralph Lauren's Lauren.

Very sweet post. I bet your mom would love to know that you have these memories of her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter