Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Ho Ho Ho

Christmas was dandy. LOTS of food. Got to see Nana which is always sweet, even if you do wind up hearing the same stories every 2 minutes. And about the devastation of the world. Nana loves to talk about how horrible the war is, the weather is, the gays and minorities are, the crime is. It's all part of God's plan to annihilate us for being evil. I finally made a rule that there would be no negative talk for Christmas which I made Nana agree to and which she forgot five minutes later. She loves to watch HGTV, so I turned it on, figuring there would be some pleasant show about decorating for the holidays. And who can talk about the world's devastation while watching Christmas tree decorating and gingerbread man-making? Am I right? I lucked out because White House Christmas 2004 was on. Laura Bush was interviewed throughout the show prompting Nana to say how nice she thought Laura Bush was, but that her mother-in-law, Barbara Bush was a bitch. That's right, Nana was calling Barbara Bush a bitch. On Christmas. I'm not sure what Barbara Bush ever did to my grandmother, but there is some definite resentment there. Which I was reminded of, every 30 seconds. Finally, I started shouting, "There's no cursing on Christmas" (which reminded me greatly of one of Tom Hank's great lines in "A League of Their Own" when he said, "There's no crying in baseball!"). But Nana is excused for calling Barbara a bitch and lecturing on the end of the world, because she's 85 and frankly, can do whatever she wants.

Other than that, I talked to my mother a lot, and to my brother, got some great gifts, made some good food. Not stressful. All in all a great Christmas.

Hope yours was happy as well.

1 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I'm so glad to hear that Christmas was good other than the Barbara Bush issue.

I have a story about Barbara Bush and my Gram. It's slightly more lighthearted. Remind me tonight and I'll tell ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter