Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Death

I'm really surprised by the Peterson sentencing verdict.

I'm not a proponent of the death penalty. This usually surprises people, but I believe that in order to be "pro-life" you shouldn't support taking any life. Even if that person 'deserves' to die. I don't believe Peterson should have gotten the death sentence. Don't get me wrong, I did a back flip when the guilty verdict came through. But when I think death sentence, I think serial killers, mass murderers. The type of person who, when interviewing character witnesses, we find out that as a child tortured kittens and killed puppies.

None of that was the case with Peterson. He's a liar for sure. A cad, as they say. But there didn't seem to be any history as far as him being a violent person, a threat to society at large. From my father and others I know in law enforcement, I've learned there is a code of ethics among convicted criminals. Usually if you've been convicted of a crime that involved a child or a pregnant woman, you're going to have a particularly hard time in jail. So in a way, I would prefer Peterson to go to a general population prison instead of death row. With his crime and pretty boy good looks, other inmates would wipe that smirk off his face in no time.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter