Monday, December 13, 2004

Reading

So Christy lent me some books last week. One was Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy, which I sped through in 24 hours. I thought her story and writing is amazing. As a "companion" to that, I also started reading Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett who was Grealy's "best friend". I'm struggling to get through it. Not because it's a hard read at all, but because that compared to Grealy's writing style, I find Patchett's completely and utterly boring. I was trying to get into the book, really I was. I kept on thinking, "Lucy's story was so interesting, this will be interesting too. Any moment now I'll be pulled in." But it's not working out like that. Patchett has other novels published, but I'm just finding her style dull. And I wonder if I'm only finding that because I was so wowed by Grealy.

I keep thinking that Patchett must have always been in Lucy's shadow, something Patchett alludes to in her book, and that Patchett is still trying to ride along on Lucy's star.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter