Thursday, September 04, 2008

Danger, in the Game When the Stakes are High

So.....how are you? Anything new? Watch anything interesting on TV lately?

I haven't said much about Sarah Palin here. Mostly because I'm not a particularly political person but also, because I've had a bunch of different thoughts about her that have evolved over the last week, and most of them contradict each other.

First off, I couldn't believe there wasn't some more qualified, less baggage kind of lady politician out there for the VP pick. In fact, the day Sarah Palin was announced, my husband came home from work and the first thing he said to me was "So, John McCain committed political suicide today, eh?"

But then, by yesterday I actually had to turn off CNN and tune into Fox News (which I usually can't watch without laughing). I was so damn sick of every CNN anchor asking every female they interviewed whether she (the interviewee) would be able to handle the VP position with small children at home. The urge to start clawing at skin was great.

I don't agree with many of her opinions. But the hair on the back of my neck still stands up on end when I hear people trashing her, resorting to her family or the fact that she was a beauty queen. I think she's a young, attractive, family-oriented woman who happens to also be a politician and I think that scares the shit of people.

I mean if you want to go after the ethics thing or the lobbying thing, or the thin resume thing (although, pot? kettle?)fair game. But people seemed to be assuming she was some sort of completely inexperienced idiot and, I couldn't help but get the feeling that it had something to do with...her. Like her gender.

So, last night, there I was, a registered Republican, unsure of who I am voting for come November. So many pros and cons to both sides. So uncertain of this Sarah Palin person, this person that so many predicted was going to fall on her face last night, that I stayed up well past my bedtime to watch her speak.

I don't care who you are, or what your political leanings are, Sarah Palin was awesome. Okay, I think she could have backed off some of the Obama-slamming. And I don't agree with some of her views and I don't know that I'll be voting for John McCain this November, but I can't help but admire a woman who just had a baby, is a mother of five, in the midst of all sorts of scandal, and delivered a speech like that to millions of people. That woman just had a baby 4 months ago, and she's a freaking vice presidential candidate for the United States of America.

Awesome.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I did not think she was awesome. At all.

I think she did a reasonably good job at delivering a speech that was entirely written by George Bush's speech writers. I was considerably less impressed than almost every politcal reporter I have heard or read about the speech.

I also do not think she said anything resembling substantive policy other than that she is in favor of drilling for oil in Alaska.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger DJ Heavy D said...

Well, I think just about every politician delivers a speech written by someone else.

Admittedly, I didn't listen to Joe Biden's acceptance speech to compare whether there was any substantive policy in his.

But I think the debates will be interesting and where the substantive material should be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter