Wednesday, July 25, 2007

But I Was Going to Break Up With All My Friends

So I was reading an online article about 5 friends that every new mom needs and at the end was this little gem:

Why You Need at Least One Childless Friend

Of course you love your mom buddies, but it's still a good idea to hang onto the pals you had before kids or to make some new ones whose lives don't revolve around the playground and naptime. Here's why:

Childless pals link you to your former life. They bring out interests and passions that may have been dormant for a while; you get so used to thinking of yourself as a mom, you forget that you are also an artist, book lover, and runner.

You need a break from 24-7 kid thinking. It's easy to get so caught up in your baby's world that you don't take time for anything else. Some dishing on adult life (even if it's only Brad and Angelina gossip) can be a wonderful mental break from diaper duty and potty training.

They offer perspective. Listening to your friend discuss the trials and tribulations of the dating scene (the grass isn't always greener) may make you appreciate your life a bit more.

They admire your baby without giving advice. Childless friends tend to lavish attention on your little one without feeling the need to offer theories on sleep or feeding. Plus, it's just plain fun to watch them enjoy each other.


I love that it starts with "It's still a good idea to hang onto the pals before you had kids." Really? Because I was planning on getting rid of all of my current friends.

Ridiculous.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Star said...

Man! I thought I was rid of you in a few weeks. Guess not.

=)

The bit about kidless friends not offering advice? They haven't met Christy and her traditional baby belief system! You need advice, that girl knows babies. Me? Not so much. I will have no advice except to say: If the kid won't stop crying hand it to Christy, the Baby Whisperer or brandy...that is what my parents used and I turned out vurtually perfect!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Thank God for that. I'm glad you're not kicking us to the curb. People are morons.

And yes, I am the childless friend who thinks I'm an expert on babies. Whatever. I love babies and kids and I've been around them my whole life. I offer my thoughts.

Then again, I offer my thoughts about everything else in life too- it's not that surprising.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter