Wednesday, May 30, 2007

White Flag

As I've mentioned, so far my weight gain has been pretty average. It would be less if I stopped eating so much ice cream. While I eat a fairly healthy diet, I do indulge in lots of treats. For breakfast each morning, I eat a bowl of GoLean Crunch, mixed with a little whole grain Total and top it off with 2% milk and blueberries. And I always drink that with a glass of water. Nowadays, though, I've started adding either a small glass of OJ (with calcium) or a fruit smoothie. I always keep some vanilla yogurt, bananas, frozen strawberries and raspberries on hand to whip up a smoothie in the morning. I like to think that between the juice or smoothie, that makes up the extra 300 calories or so I'm supposed to take in daily.

Lunches for me are pretty much the same week to week. Well, I don't eat a really full lunch very often. I eat little things all day long: yogurt (sometimes with granola, sometimes without), dried cranberries, sliced peppers with hummus, yogurt-covered raisins, spinach salad with strawberries, trail mix, and occasionally half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. There are several bottles of water a day as well.

Why am I suddenly reminded of Mighty Girl's book?

Then for dinner, it really depends. Last night we had BLT sandwiches, with a side of spinach salad. Unless it's pasta, there's usually always a meat involved with dinner. Sometime pork loin or pork chops, but more often it's chicken, done any of 32 ways. Occasionally, I'll make ribs or a pot roast. I usually pair these with either a salad, corn on the cob, whole grain rice, or broccoli. My husband doesn't "do" many vegetables. Usually water with dinner too.

So from reading that, it looks like a fairly healthy diet, right?

Well first off, in addition to all that other breakfast stuff, I usually have coffee and Something Bad when I first get to work. Like a donut. Or a cinnamon bun. Or a muffin the size of Kansas. And there are days, where in addition to all those little snacks I have throughout the day, a Milky Way candy bar, or lately, a milkshake from Wawa (really, not as gross as you might think) or chocolate chips cookies make their way onto the menu. Or if I forget to bring all my little snacks, I might order a sandwich--not necessarily a healthy one-- with fries or chips for lunch. As for dinner, when I cook at home, I'm pretty good. When we go out to eat, which is at least once a week, all bets are off. Nachos, pizza, anything fried, etc. This is nothing new and I've blogged about this before. I'm merely noting that that trend has continued into this pregnancy. And then there's the ice cream, which usually happens after dinner.

Anyway, despite all this eating, I'm still gaining the recommended amount of weight. Although some of that distributed all over my body, I'm fairly happy that most of it is in the front abdomen region and that from the back, you can't necessarily tell I'm pregnant. At least for now. However, after putting up a brave and valiant resistance to the weight gain, my legs have finally surrendered the fight. My left thigh and right thigh have become fast friends and now find it necessary to be touching at all times, even when I'm standing.

By mid-September I'll be able to start up a new fitness regime and boy, is that not going to be easy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter