Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Good Places, Good Eats

New England proved to be just as charming and rustic and quiet on this trip as I had hoped it to be. We went to the Mystic Seaport, hiked through Bluff Point Coastal Reserve, went on scenic drives, did a tasting at the Jonathan Edwards Winery (walking away with a couple of bottles of chardonnay that we loved, even though we're usually not much for chardonnay; we almost got the zinfindel port, which was delish too), chowed down at the Bowen's Wharf Seafood Festival (yeah, fortunately for me there were non-seafood options) and strolled through the Vanderbilt's mansion, The Breakers. Why I didn't live in 1895 and marry a Vanderbilt is beyond me.

As for good eats, if you're ever in Mystic, CT, you of course have to have a slice at Mystic Pizza. It's not very good. But you have to go anyway. Ron had no idea why I was insistent on eating there. He also had no idea there was a movie. Whatever. Also try the Seamen's Inne, but eat in the pub instead of the more formal restaurant. It's the same food, but you feel like more of a local on the pub side. I've been craving Mexican food, so we also went to Margarita's another night. Great drinks and great food. I love me a chimichanga. For after dinner drinks, we would visit the Harp and Hound, a traditional Irish pub that was so cute that if it had cheeks, I would pinch them.

In Newport, the two places to try are the Brick Alley and the Black Pearl. The Black Pearl also makes a very good white russian, in case you're interested.

While I did make it to the gym twice while I was away and go on a hike, I also comsumed lots of food, alcohol, hot chocolate, taffy and fudge. So I'm feeling very pleased with our trip, but I'm also feeling kind of gross. Back on the bandwagon...

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Star said...

Welcome Back hotstuff. I missed you. It sounds like you had a fantastic time. Glad you had fun, and so awesome that you had Mystic Pizza!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter