Sunday, October 02, 2005

Again with Mark Wahlberg

In the last 6 weeks, there's only been one time that I've gone to church and Mark hasn't been there. We always sit in the same section of the church, and more often than not, in the same row. It's gotten to the point where I can safely say that he recognizes me from week to week. We're friendly. We smile, wave, do the whole sign-of-peace thing.

Last night, the Mass had already started, when someone else came in and sat in my row: Mark of course, and his less-than-funky bunch. He smiled and gave me a little wave. I noticed his was wearing his NBA issued sneakers again that say "Mark Wahlberg" on them. I find that endlessly funny, that someone would need their sneakers monogrammed.

Anyway, instead of leaving the church early, as he usually does, Mark stayed until the very end. I sat down briefly to gather my belongings and I could see out of the corner of my eye that he was turned in the pew, looking at me. For some reason, I was afraid of making eye contact. So I didn't. Call it women's intuition. I knew the eye contact would lead to small talk.

So with him still looking at me, I deliberately turned in the other direction, exited the pew and genuflected. I never looked back.

Didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter