Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Flamingo

What's your favorite sleep position? I think everyone has one. I, for one, cannot sleep on my stomach at all. I had a roommate in college that could only sleep on her stomach. She said that the position you were most comfortable in related to the position you were in back in the womb. I doubt there's any scientific evidence to back that up. My roommate was a bit of a quack.

Anyway, we had a galley kitchen in the house I grew up in. I remember standing by the window in the kitchen eating cookies at the counter, when my father walked in and told me I looked like a flamingo. He said that because I was standing on one leg, my left leg, with my right leg bent outward so that my foot was pressing against the inside of my left leg. Nowadays in yoga, that's called tree pose. I didn't know that then.

I have great balance. Unconsciously, I revert to standing on one leg often. I have no idea why. Stranger still, I sleep in the same position, only lying down. I almost always sleep on my back, with one leg straight, the other bent, so my foot rests on the opposite leg's inner knee area.

Tree is one of my favorite yoga positions, by the way. I am part flamingo.

1 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I used to do the dishes in that position. It cracked my dad up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter