Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Heaven is a Place at 34th Street and Herald Square

I really don't have a great sense of direction. I know this about myself. This weekend we got lost no fewer 53 times. The thing about R is that when we get lost, he takes it as an opportunity to pop in to the closest bar and re-group over an adult beverage. Boy, did that make getting lost a lot more fun.

We were typical tourists, something that made Hope be embarrassed to be my friend, as she and I are both native New Yorkers. The difference being, I left New York when I was 15 while she continued to live there until her mid-twenties and still works there. ANYWAY, R and I went to the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, South Street Seaport, Macy's, toured around the Village and had drinks at Pete's Tavern (which was planned, as opposed to our unplanned lost pit-stops).

The view from the top of the Empire State Building is amazing, as you would expect. I'm not afraid of heights, but even my stomach did a little flip-flop when I looked straight down. You can see forever and ever though and it's beautiful. I had never been to the top before. I had, however, been inside the Statue before, in 1987. They were sold out of Observatory tickets, but we decided to hop a ferry to Liberty Island anyway just to tour around. I'm glad we did, because the Park Rangers gave us museum tickets and somehow we wound up on an Observatory tour. You're not allowed to go higher than the top of the base of the Statue these days, but you can look up into the interior structure. In case anyone reading this didn't already know, I am a total and complete GEEK and love museums, so I found the Statue Musuem fascinating.

We met up with Hope, Tim and their baby Ryan for dinner, which was so nice. Ryan is so adorable that it took everything in me not to stick him in my purse, bring him home and hope that his mother didn't notice. I was so glad that we could all coordinate our schedules to meet up with my friends.

I spent 4 hours, by the way, at Macy's, the world's largest store. I nearly walked out with 2 coats, a pair of Diesel sneakers, a painting and a new hair color. I restrained myself, but for a short time, I thought I found heaven on earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter