Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pieces

I pick apart songs. Have you ever done that? I totally apply songs to my life or to people I know and there's no one song that I'm totally feeling every single line. Some lines just don't fit. But there are pieces of songs, parts of lyrics, when I think: yes, I totally get what you're saying. I've been there, I've seen that. Of all the songs I love, there is always just one line, or one verse that rings true for me while the rest of the song, while lovely, isn't really applicable.

Here are a few examples:
"Over My Head (Cable Car)" by The Fray. I generally like the song, but not really sure what the cable car part is about:
But that's disregard
Find another friend and you discard
As you lose the argument in a cable car
Hanging above as the canyon comes between
Everyone knows I'm in
Over my head
Over my head
With eight seconds left in overtime
She's on your mind
She's on your mind

Also, I'm feeling the "I'm in over my head" part--I've so been there. But not sure what's up with "with eight seconds left in overtime....". What I love about the song, the words as well as they way they're sung is the phrase:
I'm losing you and its effortless
Yeah, I get so get this. Only The Fray's lyrics that lead up to that line are:
And suddenly I become a part of your past
I'm becoming the part that don't last
And that's not really what I mean. I've lost people, effortlessly, not because I was becoming a part of their past, but because they were becoming a part of mine. It's surprising how easily you can let someone go, sometimes, so that you don't even realize it's happened.

So along those lines, I also love "Fair" by Remy Zero, but particularly feel atuned to the line:
And all my words were bound to fail
Just a snippit of the song, but man, I love that line because I've felt that very way.

"These are Days" by 10,000 Maniacs:
These are the days you might fill
With laughter until you break
These days you might feel
A shaft of light
Make its way across your face

"Volcano" by Damien Rice:
What I am to you is not real
What I am to you, you do not need
What I am to you is not what you mean to me
And then:
You give me miles and miles of mountains
And I'll ask for the sea

"What a Good Boy" by BNL:
I couldn't tell you that you were right,
So instead I looked in the mirror,
Watched TV, and laid awake all night

"Broken" by Seether:
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

Recently, I came across the Sheryl Crow song "Always On Your Side" which she sings with Sting, and most of the song is a little too whiny for me, but I love:
Cause you were always waiting to be picked to play the game
But when your name was called, you found a place to hide
When you knew that I was always on your side
And then:
Leavin' only traces of the man you thought I'd be
Too afraid to hear the words I always feared,
Leaving you with only questions all these years

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter