Friday, September 01, 2006

Addressing

A couple of things:
It kind of annoys me when people who know that Ron is a doctor address mail to him as "Mr. Ron LastName". It's fine if you're not going to use a formal title. And between his close friends and family, who cares? But if you're going to use a title, use the right one.

Mail for me these days is a freaking disaster. I've made way too much of this FirstName MaidenName LastName thing. Now I'm getting mail addressed to Ron and I as:
Mr. Ron LastName
Ms. FirstName MaidenName LastName


Okay, taking it that far was never my intention. I mean it was always going to socially be "Mr. & Mrs. Ronald LastName". Whoops. Make that "Dr. & Mrs." Anyway, this new batch of mail with me listed as an entirely separate person does not so much please my husband. Honestly, I find it ridiculous too. One of my aunts RSVPed to the wedding and wrote in her and her husband's names separately (she also uses her maiden name as a middle name) and frankly there isn't enough damn room on an RSVP card to write that much. It's ridiculous. No one needs to assert their own personal identity that much.


It's funny I made such a stink about keeping my maiden name and I'm very glad that, legally, I do still have it included. But it's a mouthful. And while I haven't dropped using it and while my new last name does not yet easily roll off my tongue, in my mind I am warming to the idea of just having a first name and a new last name. Professionally, I'll still keep the maiden name in the middle there at least for the time being. And legally I'll keep it that way because it's too much of a pain to change it again and frankly it is comforting to know the maiden name is still there. But socially? I think I'll be using it less and less. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with that.

So my next set of return address labels will look alittle different. Alittle less wordy.

1 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing the first name middle name maiden name-new name, and on paper it's a pain in the ass. Since I started the new job I've been going by first name new name, and it takes some time to get used to and is confusing to the people who employ me. Outside my office door is first name new name, but outside the main office it's first name maiden name.

That was way too much thinking for the morning after a holiday. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter