Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hot for Jeter

I know, I know. I've been neglecting you. Not many posts and not very interesting posts at that. I'm sorry. Come back and see me in April.

In the meantime, here's this little nugget.

There's two things you need to know about my grandmother. First is that she always read the newspaper and cut articles out that either she was interested in or that she thought someone else would be interested in. She had always done this. I've seen pictures cut out of newspapers from 1972 which feature some model wearing the wedding dress that my mother wore. She had cut it out to show people at the time. When I was looking at colleges, she would cut out any articles on colleges and give them to me. Most recently, when I got engaged, she cut out a picture of Regis Philbin and his daughter on her wedding day to show me her dress, which my grandmother thought was very fashionable.

The other thing about my grandmother is that she loves Derek Jeter. We're not sure why, but she's always thought he was cute and a "nice man". She called Mariah Carey a slut when she was dating Jeter. It's all a little weird. My grandmother could go on and on about this guy. Even so, we were all surprised when we visited her in the nursing home and one of the nurses saw my grandmother and asked if she had seen Derek Jeter lately. We all exchanged glances, realizing that my grandmother may not remember that it's not 1921 anymore, but she does remember and is telling nurses about Derek Jeter. Why? Why did that information stay in her brain, the memory of Derek Jeter stay when she regularly forgets who my brother is? Weird right?

Not as weird as when my parents cleaned out her house and found an entire dresser drawer stuffed to the max with hundreds, if not thousands, of pictures of Derek Jeter cut out from newspapers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter