Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Hasta La Vista, Donut

Oh, the torment!

I'm going to try eating healthy again. I've posted here before about my eating habits. Post-South Beach, I had developed some relatively healthy eating habits that stuck for a long time. At least they stuck longer than any other time I've tried eating healthy. And there are some the stick still. Still get whole grain bread over white. Still don't down two glasses of OJ in the mornings. Still try to each fruit or veggies during the day. But dessert has crept back into the daily routine, as has the morning donut. Candy bars, about once a week, whereas they had been banned nearly all together. A lot of eating out, which isn't bad in and of itself, but it usually consists of an appetizer like nachos or spinach dip (wait, that's healthy right?) or onion rings. Lots of fried foods when eating out and of course, dessert.

Slowly, the bad foods have snuck back into the daily routine. I'm not against bad food in its entirety. But even I have to admit that there is such a thing as too much. Eating like this is making me feel like crap.

So I'm back on the bandwagon, effective yesterday. To prepare for this, Ron and I ordered take-out on Sunday night: BBQ cheesesteaks, megga fries (with two cheeses, bacon and ranch dressing) and hot wings. That's it. No more. Yesterday I had fruit and yogurt for lunch. I had low-fat cheese and whole wheat crackers as a snack. And I made chicken roll-ups stuffed with part-skim ricotta and spinach for dinner.

Today, part-skim mozzeralla sticks as a snack, yogurt and non-fat pudding. Dinner will be tricky: I have to eat out, because I'm working until 9 p.m. I may have to resort to some sort of turkey sandwich (with NO potato chips, or Sunchips, which I usually try to pretend are a healthy alternative). However, this morning, I did pick up a donut with my morning coffee. It's hard to give that one up. I feel the need to snack on something while drinking my beverage. There's no real healthy, non carb-loaded alternative that goes with coffee.

No donut tomorrow though.

My real motive for trying to eat mostly heathly is so I can cheat. The holidays are approaching. I am itching to bake apple pie, apple spice cake, holiday cookies, etc. I want some egg nog, and pecan pie. I can justify eating these things and enjoying them if I'm having healthy meals. It's all about balance, my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter