Thursday, November 03, 2005

Viable Options

In my adult life, I've been working on being a more grateful person. You know, in general appreciating what is around me, the things and people I have in my life. I'm learning to be grateful for the things I don't have as well, like an abusive ex-husband who repeatedly raped me and continues to stalk me.

I teach self-defense, usually to young women who have never been attacked. I like that the women in my class usually feel empowered and more confident after taking it. I can see the change in them. I hope that they never have cause to use what we teach them. But there are other women, not many that I've met, but a few, who need what we teach as a matter of survival. Women whose day-to-day lives are filled with fear and violence. Women whom the legal system has failed miserably. I find it so frustrating to recommend that women press charges and get restraining orders only to know that in the real world, that doesn't amount to much. That doesn't really offer them protection.

We need to take care of our women better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter