Wednesday, May 25, 2005

New and Improved

If you're a reader of this blog, all 5 of you, you know that lately I've been concentrating on my workouts. Awhile back I decided to build my perfect body. Not "a" perfect body, since there is no such thing, but I wanted to make my body as good as it could be, realizing that of course, there will always be flaws. "Deciding" to get myself fit became an area of focus for me, a hobby, if you will. I've never really had any hobbies other than reading (and art, in my former life).

I've never had much self-discipline. That's part of the reason I loved school: it forced me to take on new things in an organized fashion. I can't believe it's been almost 4 years since I finished grad school. Unfortunately, I feel like I haven't learned much since then. I miss the structure that classes gave me for learning new material. I am happiest when I am busy in a constructive way and when I was working full time and going to graduate school, I was happy.

Then I fell into a slump. Partly because work went bad, real bad, and partly because I had nothing else to focus my attention on, I was content just watching a lot of TV--something I never did before. And eating. There was a lot of eating.

But focusing on eating better and structuring workouts has given me new direction. Maybe it's in combination with the warmer weather (don't we all feel like we have more energy when it gets warmer outside?), but I'm inspired to learn more, to spread this focus out to a broader area. Maybe instead of just building a better body, I should be building better version of myself overall. With that in mind, I'm starting to focus on some of my weaknesses.

I just subscribed to "Money" magazine, because frankly, it's time I started taking my money seriously. Especially since the next job I take will result in a substantial pay cut. I'm terrible at saving. (Case in point: Ron has more in his savings account than I do. He makes half of what I do and has been working for six years less than I have. Ouch.). I know nothing about the stock market. Nothing. Which proves that I really was adopted at birth because my brother works on Stock Exhange. The only thing I'm really doing right in my finances is retirement. I have a really nice retirement account going, as well as a pension plan. I also just ordered this on Amazon, since I can't imagine renting for much longer. Some women yearn for children, I yearn for a renovation project.

Next up, it's time to plan a real budget. Which means I have to confront my biggest demon head-on: shopping. I am a shopoholic. Not a week goes by where I don't buy new clothes. I have a problem. I know this.

Sigh. But it's going to be a new and improved me. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter