Monday, December 06, 2004

Goodbye Is Forever

So Friday was my right-hand office person's last day. The day passed in relatively good humor, but towards the end it started to get to us. When you work in an office 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, those people in your office (for better or for worse) become an extension of your life. That's been my experience, at least.

So the end of the day comes and my employee, D4, sends a group email to everyone in my office. I've taken the liberty of using people's initials (we have a lot of D's) but other than that, it says:

"I didn't want to title this email goodbye, because to me goodbye is forever. Although I said I won't miss you guys, I definitely will. I hope you all know that therelationships that I developed through DHRL cannot be replaced. I think of each of you as a part of my family.
D1- my older pain in the neck brother

D2 - my caring, thoughtful and sometimes grumpy father

C- my long lost cousin, we're close enough to know how each of us is feeling on any given day

P- the younger sister who is often wiser than her years

And D3- my older(and I don't mean that in a bad way) sister, there is so much that I could say about you, I'm afraid that the words thank youaren't enough. You are an inspiration, in more ways than you can possibly know. I will never forget the rules of etiquette that you inadvertently passed on.

So that said, I'll see you guys next week.

Love, D4"

I'm D3.

I found the email endearing. I held it together. I looked at the clock. I wrapped my scarf around my neck, put on my coat. I walked out of the building with everyone in my office. I hugged D4 and wished her luck.

It was already dark outside and it was one of the first nights it felt really cold. The air smelled cold. I walked across the plaza with my hands in my pockets. There was a dull pain in my chest and I was acutely aware that it was the end of an era. That employee was the best I ever had, the kind that intuitively knows what you need before you even ask for it. She stayed with me during the hardest times my department has ever known. As an embattled director, I knew that she was my rock. She took care of me, I took care of her. She stayed with me much longer that I would have if roles were reversed. You just don't find that kind of loyalty and dedication in employees these days. My quest to find her replacement will be tempered by an impossibly high standard.

Finally as I was walking, the dam that had been holding back my tears burst and I quietly cried as I walked down Locust Street. The end of an era indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter