Monday, November 29, 2004

My House is a Very, Very, Very Fine House

My apartment building definitely has some quirks, like carpeted bathrooms for example. And a heating system that works a little too well most of the time, and not at all at others. The stove is too small for the space it's in and the wall to wall carpeting could stand to be replaced. Those things I can take and provided (knock on some serious wood) the mouse problem doesn't return (so far, so good), I'll probably stay there another year. It has a lot of space and storage for a one bedroom apartment. It has some charm. The neighbors are nice. The rent is low, relatively speaking.

But the best part about my building is its location. Close to a park, nice restaurants. There is a vocal school close by and this time of year they rehearse for their holiday concerts. On any given afternoon and evening, the sounds of opera float into my apartment. They may be students, but they're all good, really good. Lots of the students live on the block and you can hear them practicing all the time. This may sound annoying, but trust me it's not. Their voices are muted by distance and the sounds they make, even when just warming up, are heavenly.

My apartment is on the top floor of my building and my building sits back further that other buildings on the block. The advantage of this, is that there are tall, narrow windows on either side of the room and I have a view of other backyards, as well as a largely unobstructed view of the sky. At night, the moon rises on the east side of my apartment and from my bed the view out the window looks like something out of a theatre set. A large apartment building with lights showing in most of the windows is a block away and when the moon rises above that, I swear, it doesn't even look real.

Last night, as I drifted off to sleep bathed in moonlight, listening to the sweet distant sounds of opera, I thought, "This isn't a bad way to live."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter