Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Things I Learned

On my trip to Michigan:

1. The PA turnpike is really narrow and wind-y around Pittsburgh.

2. People, generally speaking, are really, really nice in MI.

3. Target carries the same merchandise in MI as in PA.

4. The Quality Inn in Dearborn, MI is scary as hell. Don't stay there; I didn't.

5. The Henry Ford Museum is outstanding. Really, I was blown away. It's a museum not so much dedicated to Ford cars as it is to American innovation. I stood right next to the car that JFK was assasinated in and the bus that Rosa Parks took a stand (well a seat really) in; I sat in a Ford Model T from 1930; I took pictures of the Wright Brothers first plane; viewed via hundreds of models the progression from wagons to cars, stagecoaches to trains, gliders to jets. I argubly learned more at this museum in this one day than I have learned collectively over the last few months.

6. The Greenfield Village is almost as amazing as the museum. I think there would have been more going on in the summer, when it's warm out. But Henry Ford didn't mess around. He moved a bunch of these historical buildings from wherever they were in the country to this Village. I had a beer in a 1831 tavern, served by an 1831 barkeep. Cool.

7. I love me some old time Americana memorabilia.

8. Windor, Canada looks, sounds and feels exactly like the United States.

9. Detroit and Windsor Canada depend on gambling. A lot of gambling.

10. Playing the nickel slots is a great way to blow 20 bucks.

11. Greektown is pretty cool.

12. Detroit has amazing Chicago-style pizza. Crazy right? But crazy delicious too.

13. There are some freakin' huge houses in Grosse Pointe.

14. I wouldn't mind living in Grosse Pointe.

15. Taking road trips with Ron is a totally funny experience. Especially when we're lost.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Christy said...

I'm so glad the trip went well!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Star said...

Glad the trip was good, but gladder you are back!

Have you seen Grosse Point Blank? Faboo movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter