Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Ole`

Halloween is coming up. I like Halloween in theory, pumpkins, ghosts, scary movies. But I hate the dressing up part. I'm not sure why. I avoid costume parties like the plague. But that's now. As a kid of course, I LOVED dressing up. One of the most important decisions I made all year was what to be for Halloween. Dressing up meant trick-or-treating. And that meant candy!

Yay, candy! If I didn't think it might involve me getting arrested, I might still go trick-or-treating now. Minus the costume.

Anyway, one of the Halloweens I remember most was when I was Holly Hobbie. Does anyone remember Holly Hobbie or am I totally dating myself here? We weren't a very crafty family so I worn one of those God-awful plastic costumes. You know the kind that's basically a smock that you tie in the back, complete with a flimsy plastic mask that you could barely see or breathe out of? Yeah, one of those. My brother was about 3 and even though he wasn't going trick-or-treating, my mother dressed him up. In a sombreo, a poncho and (I can't even type this without laughing) a fake moustache. He was supposed to be a Mexican. My mother dressed her baby up as a Mexican man! How's that for political correctness?

My brother was traumatized by the fake moustache. The Mexican costume might has been forgotten completely, if it wasn't for a framed picture of Holly Hobbie and the Mexican that sits in my parents' den to this day. In the picture, the Mexican is crying much like he did for most of the day, due to the aforementioned moustache. I don't blame my brother one bit. I would equally upset to have so much facial hair at such a young age.

I can't even tell you how many years passed before I questioned the appropriateness of my brother's costume. As bad as it was, I can't help that I still find that picture adorable. My brother was one cute Mexican.






2 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Star said...

I was all about Holly Hobbie, I totally had the sheets and room decor. I am so jealous that you got to BE her!!! Probably the same year that you were Holly Hobbie, i was a princess in one of those terrble plastic costumes, and my baby brother was, get ready...a hobo! Seriously, black stuff on his face to imply a 5 o'clock shadow and all! So it seems that all parent's were insane in the early 80s!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Holly Hobbie! Christy and I had a Holly Hobbie stuff hanging in out bedroom forever. Literally, I think that we had it hanging there until we re-painted the rooms when I was a freshman in high school.

My memorable costume: She-Ra, Princess of Power!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter