Sunday, September 11, 2005

Some Idle Tuesday

Four years ago, my father and brother sat outside the Twin Towers enjoying Krispy Kreme donuts in the early morning hours before work. My brother, looking up at the towers, remarked that it must be a pain to clean that many windows.

Of course, less than four hours after that, there weren't any windows left to clean.

What I remember most about that day, aside from the horror and sadness, was how brilliant the weather was. Much like today. Warm, but not too hot and sunny without a cloud in the sky. The weather so contradicted the day.

I also remember that it was a Tuesday. And the sentence that kept running through my head was a line from that "Wear Sunscreen" graduation address that later was constantly played on the radio for some reason: The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

I won't forget that day, what the day of the week it was, or what the weather was like. I will remember everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter