Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Conte

While recovering from a hangover on Saturday (damn you, pitchers of margaritas!) I decided to venture to an art supply store. I've been tinkering with the idea of taking up art again. I spent 8 years in private art classes and took a class in college, but now it's been almost a decade since I did anything art-related.

I think I miss it.

So there I am wandering around the art store, like a person with amnesia whose memory is suddenly jogged: CONTE CRAYONS! I REMEMBER conte crayons! Look, pastels! Charcoal! Messy, but I loved it! Dobe erasers! They were my favorite thing of all time! HB pencils--I used to love HB pencils! Paint brushes! Acrylic paints! WATERCOLORS! Look--sketch pads! Oil paints! I LOVE oil paint! Turpentine! Linseed oil! OH HAPPY DAY!

After hours of indecisiveness, I finally settled on some pencils, erasers and a square sketch pad.
Now what?

I'm wondering, like with all other subjects, if without the structure of classes, I'll be able to re-learn art. I've always had a talent for it. But I'm not creative. I can't just draw from memory. I can't really create from scratch. I'm not even particularly good at setting up a still-life, although I usually can recognize a good composition when I see it. I'm realizing that throughout all my art training, I learned a lot of skills which brought out my innate talent. But you can't teach creativity.

So we'll see if I start drawing again. And if it's any good.

In the meantime, speaking of hobbies, I did a little work on the scarf I've been knitting FOREVER. And I've been spending my evening poring over cookbooks, trying to come up with new and fun recipes. I love reading cookbooks!

I need to decide on one hobby, I think

1 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Star said...

I am so glad you bought art stuff. That is so great. I hope you find it fun and relaxing to create some new srtwork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter